Welcome, New Graduate Students!

Photo courtesy of Innoworks

Updated September 2, 2020

Welcome to the Department of
Mechanical Engineering!

We are very pleased to welcome you as new graduate students to the Mechanical Engineering department at the Johns Hopkins University.  We hope your time here will be stimulating, challenging, and rewarding.  This page gives general info, helpful web links, and information on what to do when you arrive. Select the “bars” below for important information and actions to take.



Visit these pages for information on the COVID-19 pandemic and the University’s response:

These address health and wellness needs, coping with social distancing, academic policy and grading adjustments, research, remote courses, and professional and visa concerns.


Additional News

  • Download the appropriate “To Do” checklist as your preparation and arrival guide:

  • Take the Graduate Advising Manual Quiz Challenge! You could win one of four $50 Amazon gift cards, which will be awarded to two master’s students and two PhD students!


    Visit the Advising Manual Quiz Challenge and answer the questions:


    Quizzes with all correct answers will be entered into a drawing for the Gift Cards, to be awarded at the Master’s Student Orientation on August 25 and PhD Student Orientation on August 28. If no one answers all questions correctly, those whose quizzes have the most correct answers will be entered in the drawing.


    Don’t delay! Play today and have fun!

  • If you have not already done so, please follow the instructions that were sent in the “official” admission notification sent by the Graduate Admissions office.

    Official transcripts must be sent by the institution to WSEGrad-Transcripts@jhu.edu. Remember, the University requires official copies sent directly from the institution (not a copy from the student) showing the degree conferral.

    Also, visit the Whiting School Graduate Admissions “Newly Admitted” Students page for information on how to send your final transcripts (also called “final documents”), which are required as part of your admission package. You don’t have to send your final transcripts until your final semester is complete and final grades are added to the transcript.

  • We’re happy to help!

    Mike Bernard







    Mike Bernard
    Academic Program Manager
    230 Latrobe Hall

    Kevin Adams







    Kevin Adams
    Senior Academic Program Coordinator
    223 Latrobe Hall

    Other contact people will include your advisor and the Mechanical Engineering administrative staff. We’re all happy to help.

  • Be sure to “like” our Facebook page from your own Facebook page to follow along.
  • This is your login ID to most Hopkins Web sites, including the “myJH” portal, home of the Johns Hopkins Enterprise Directory. It typically includes the first letter of your first name, your last name or part of your last name, and one or more digits. Your JHED ID is a maximum of 8 characters.

    Look up your name in the “myJH” portal and your JHED ID should appear.  if it does not appear by May 27 (for Summer arrival), June 5 (for Fall arrival) or January 10 (for Spring arrival), please contact the Registrar at webregistration@jhu.edu for help, per the Registrar’s Getting Started page.

    This is the six-digit-and-letter ID that SIS (the Student Information System) uses to identify students. Sign in to SIS using your JHED ID and password that you establish, per the Registrar’s Getting Started page.
    For American students, this is the Social Security Number.

    For international students, this is a temporary Hopkins-assigned (988-xx-xxxx) number to use at JHU in place of a social security number, which will be sent to you by the University. For those receiving a salary or stipend, this number is used in the process to set up your pay. International students receiving a salary will apply for a Social Security Number after arrival.

    This is the 16-digit number located above the barcode on one’s J-Card, which you will receive upon arrival. This number is read automatically when you swipe your J-Card at a reader. The 14-digit number below the J-Card barcode is your library number and can be used on the library page.
  • I-20 Process

    Upon receipt of a student’s Admission Decision form, the department submits the admissions package to the Graduate Admissions office, who after processing sends them to the JHU Office of International Services (OIS).

    You will receive an e-mail with instructions on completing an electronic form that will also ask for a copy of your passport identification page, documentation on how you are funding your study (if needed) and, if appropriate, information on any dependents that will accompany you.

    Please allow up to 2 weeks for the record transfer and e-mail notification process.  This e-mail will also provide instructions on how to arrange for shipment of your I-20.  Estimated costs of attendance can be found on the OIS website.  Questions on immigration or visa issues should be addressed to OIS at ois@jhu.edu or +1-667-208-7001.  Please do not ask Mike or Kevin for the status of the I-20, as they can only refer you back to the OIS.

    The completion time of the I-20 process may be from 3 to 6 weeks.

    If you have a spouse, children, or other dependents coming with you, be sure to apply for the appropriate dependent visas. The Office of International Student and Scholar Services “Dependent F-2 Information” page will help you with the process.

    We recommend that you fly into Baltimore-Washington International Airport (BWI), about 30 minutes from campus.

    You can travel from the airport to the Johns Hopkins University’s “Homewood” campus by using a taxi or airport shuttle to the hotel or the Light Rail or MARC train to Pennsylvania Station, about one mile from  campus. Taxis, Uber, Lyft, and free Johns Hopkins shuttles at Penn Station can bring you to the University.

    Note that if you travel to one of the Washington, DC area airports, either Dulles International (IAD)  or Reagan National (DCA), you will be about 65-115 km / 40-70 miles from Baltimore. Transportation from those airports to Baltimore will be more costly and time consuming compared to travel from BWI, which is only 22 km / 14 miles from campus.

    Arrive on Time

    Regulations from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) influence deadlines that must be met. It is strongly suggested that newly enrolling Fall graduate students arrive at Johns Hopkins University no later than these dates:

    • Fall semester – around August 17 – before the University’s graduate student orientation.
    • Spring semester – around January 21

    For those unable to arrive on time, please contact us at me-academic@jhu.edu. We can create a letter to present to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection official. This letter will confirm your enrollment at Johns Hopkins University and will ask the official to allow your entry.

    Check out this handy website for newly admitted students, which will address housing and living arrangements.

  • International students whose native language is other than English are strongly encouraged to strengthen their English language skills, no matter how proficient they are currently.  Taking the course AS.370.602 Accent Reduction will help.

    • All students whose TOEFL speaking scores are 27/30 or higher are exempt from taking AS.370.602 Accent Reduction, but are strongly encouraged to take AS.370.603  Communication Strategies in the American Academia.
    • All Ph.D. students whose TOEFL speaking scores are 26/30 or lower must register for AS.370.602 Accent Reduction and later strongly encouraged to take 370.603 Culture and Communication Strategies in the American Academia.
    • For Masters students whose TOEFL speaking scores are 26/30 or lower:
      • Those intending to apply for Mechanical Engineering Teaching Assistant (TA) positions must register for and complete AS.370.602 Accent Reduction before applying, and are strongly encouraged to take AS.370.603 Culture and Communication Strategies in the American Academia, as well.
      • All others not intending to apply for a TA position are encouraged, but not required to register for AS.370.602 Accent Reduction and are welcome to take AS.370.603 Culture and Communication Strategies in the American Academia.

    If you feel that your English-language skills are strong enough to avoid taking these remedial courses, you are welcome to participate in English-language assessments by the English Language Program for International Teaching Assistants of the Language Teaching Center (LTC)

    Visit the LTC in 523 Krieger Hall to take the English-language assessment listening test and interview. Contact the Center for Language Education to arrange an appointment.

    If you pass the test, you may drop the Accent Reduction course and you will be eligible to act as a Teaching Assistant right away.  If the examiner “recommends” or “requires” taking AS.370.602 Accent Reduction, then our department requires you to take the course.

    If you must take AS.370.602 Accent Reduction but there is a conflict with another course on your schedule, you may delay taking the  course but cannot be hired as a Teaching Assistant until you take and pass the remedial course.

    Students joining us in the Spring semester can take the remedial courses that semester or can wait until the next available pre-scheduled sessions the next Fall.

  • In July, the Johns Hopkins Student Accounts office will post a bill for amounts due on your SIS record with payment instructions and due dates. Expect to see a discrepancy of what is posted on the SIS record and what is actually due in your case when receiving financial aid.  This is because of system process deadline dates being slightly off.

    If you see a discrepancy, don’t panic.  By late-July to early-August (for new Fall students) or mid-January (for new Spring students), our department will post the expected financial aid for each student and the parts of the University systems involved in financial and billing will eventually catch up with each other – but sometimes not until late-August. The balance will be correctly adjusted before classes begin.

    If you are being prevented from registering for courses, please contact Mike Bernard at me-academic@jhu.edu. Otherwise, please let the system complete their processes as inquiries to Mike or Kevin will not speed that process.

    Select the tab that applies to you for additional financial aid information.

    PhD students do not have to pay for tuition, health insurance, and matriculation fees, as these are covered by the admission and financial aid offers.

    special note for Ph.D. students who work at the JHU APL

    PhD students who work for the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory will have full tuition paid in the first year, and 80% tuition coverage from years 2-6.  Salary and health insurance, in most cases, will be provided by the APL. We understand that the APL offers tuition coverage to pay some or all the 20% tuition. Please contact your benefits office for details.

    Hopkins alumni returning for their master’s degree have partial financial aid with a Whiting School of Engineering Dean’s Tuition Fellowship, which waives 50% of tuition for each full-time semester. This includes alumni returning after earning a BS degree or combined BS/MSE students continuing their master’s degree.

    Matriculation fees are not charged. The Johns Hopkins Student Accounts office can help with questions about billing and payment information.

    These are the estimated expenses for Hopkins alumni master’s students:

    • Tuition – $14,252.50 per semester.
    • Health Insurance – $1,207.50 per semester

    Visit the Student Accounts FAQs page for info on how to pay your bill.

    The Johns Hopkins Student Financial Services office can help with questions about student loans and financial assistance.

    Hopkins alumni who were undergraduate transfer students still would receive the Dean’s Tuition Fellowship, as the eight semesters from both the previous institution and Hopkins are counted to determine eligibility.

    These are the estimated expenses for master’s students:

    • Tuition – $28,505 per semester.
    • Health Insurance – $1,207.50 per semester
    • One-time matriculation fee – $500

    The Johns Hopkins Student Accounts office can help with questions about billing and payment information.

    Visit the Student Accounts FAQs page for info on how to pay your bill.

    The Johns Hopkins Student Financial Services office can help with questions about student loans and financial assistance.

    A select few master’s students have been offered an alternate form of financial aid unique to their applications. If you are one of them and have questions on your financial aid, please contact Mike Bernard at me-academic@jhu.edu.

  • All new graduate students must meet the University’s pre-entrance health requirements by providing proof of immunity to certain communicable diseases prior to registration.

    Johns Hopkins Alumni

    Hopkins Alumni returning for graduate school are exempt from this requirement as Student Health and Wellness will use your undergraduate pre-entrance records.

    All Other New Graduate Students

    Before arriving at Johns Hopkins you must do the following:

    • Download, print and send the Student Health and Wellness Center a paper copy of your immunization information signed by your health care provider.
    • Enter the immunization information into your electronic health record using the “SH&WC Web Portal.”

    For detailed information and instructions for completing these requirements, please visit the Student Health & Wellness Center (SH&WC) website.

    Submission Deadline

    You must submit your Pre-Entrance Health form by these dates:

    • Summer – May 30
    • Fall semester – July 15
    • Spring semester – January 15

    Failure to submit these forms will render your ineligible to register for classes or use the on-campus Student Health and Wellness Center.

    If you require any vaccines or screening tests to determine immune status, they can be administered at the Student Health and Wellness Center, at a cost of a US $100 Health Form Completion Fee plus the cost of each vaccine or screening test.

    Those who have the University insurance plan can receive the vaccines at reduced rates, but antibody testing is not covered by the plan. Please direct your questions regarding these requirements to the Student Health and Wellness Center on their Staff Page or contact senior medical office coordinator Brittney Dawson at bdawson8@jhu.edu.

    Health insurance is offered by the University to all graduate students.

    JOINING US IN FALL OR SPRING:  Automatic Health Insurance enrollment for students

    The University will automatically enroll you for health insurance.

    • International students are required to enroll in the University’s health insurance plan.
    • American students are encouraged to enroll, but have the option of waiving the plan by August 15 if they have equivalent insurance elsewhere.
    • PhD students who receive health insurance as part of their financial aid from the department will also be enrolled in dental and vision coverage at no extra charge.

    If you begin your studies early, either in the summer months before the Fall semester or in January before the Spring semester, students must visit the Registrar to enroll in health insurance. Contact the Registrar’s health insurance staff at ASENInsurance@jhu.edu with questions.

    For Ph.D. students, either the student’s advisor or the department will cover the cost of health insurance for the summer months to August 14, before the fall plan period begins on August 15.

    Waiving Health Insurance

    Information on how to waive the University’s insurance and to enroll your family members is located on the Wellfleet Student Health website. To waive the insurance, you will be asked for your six-digit Hopkins ID number, which will be issued to you in early-July.

    Please visit the Registrar’s Health Insurance page for information.

    Student Premium
    • Ph.D. student health insurance premiums are fully covered by their financial aid.
    • The University covers the costs of dental and vision coverage at no extra charge for Ph.D. students whose health insurance premiums are paid by the department.
    • Masters students pay the full health insurance premium and can purchase dental and vision coverage.

    You can purchase health insurance for spouses and family members at your cost. The premiums cover the policy year August 15 to August 14 of each year.

    These are the premium rates for 2020-21.

    • Student – $2,415
    • Spouse / Domestic Partner – $4,268
    • One child – $1,975
    • Two or more children – $2,653

    The JHU Human Resources Costs and Coverage page has information on benefit costs.

    For more info
  • The University’s Off-Campus Housing office can help you find a home, give advice on securing a lease, and connect with potential roommates.  Note that while there is no housing on campus for graduate students, there are many homes and apartments available within 3 km / 2 miles of campus.

    This Off-Campus Housing Resources page will be helpful in seeking a home.  Until you receive your JHED ID, you can use the guest registration password 18BlueJay20.

    Our department does not endorse any specific living space, but we encourage you to explore all options within your price range.

  • Ph.D. Students

    All Ph.D. students have been matched with a faculty advisor. A list of students’ advisors are located on the Students page, and select the appropriate tab.

    Master’s Students – new to Johns Hopkins

    All master’s students will be assigned an advisor by mid-July based on academic and research interests. Students will be notified when advisors are assigned, at which time you can contact discuss your coursework and, if applicable, research aspirations.

    New master’s students are welcome to select a faculty advisor, assuming he or she is available and willing to advise master’s students. If you know which faculty member whom you would like to serve as your advisor, contact Mike Bernard and he will see if he or she is available.

    Master’s Students – Hopkins Alumni

    You may ask your bachelor’s advisor to advise for your masters degree or request a new advisor. The default option is that you will remain with your bachelors advisor.

    Mike Bernard will contact you to confirm your advisor choice or arrange for an advisor assignment.

    All advisor assignments will be confirmed by mid-July as course registration begins in late-July.

    Contact Information

    Contact info for our faculty is located on the Faculty page.

    The Academic Advising Manuals provide detailed information about the degree requirements for the MSE and PhD programs, as well as information about department administrative procedures and student life.

    Visit the MechE Graduate Academic Advising page and select the “Advising Manuals” bar to find your degree’s advising manual.

    Note, for PhD students:  even if you plan to earn your master’s degree with us, your advising manual is still the PhD manual.

    While all master’s students were admitted with the assumption that each student would pursue an “all-course” option, the “essay” option  can be pursued.  Visit our master’s degree page for information.

    To do a essay, an advisor would have to agree to advise a student for an essay. Students can seek an advisor now or after they arrive at Johns Hopkins.  You are encouraged to also explore the co-op essay option.

    The best approach is to view our Faculty page to see what research our faculty are doing. You may want to find a couple of their published papers and read them to have a basic understanding of their research.

    Select one, two, or three professors whose research interests you and contact them by e-mail or telephone to introduce yourself and ask if they would consider working with you to create an essay. Be prepared to discuss your research interests and have your resume available.

    Don’t “spam” the entire faculty with an e-mail with the hope that one might reply.  A selective approach will work best.

    View and select courses from these resources:

    For Graduate Students new to Johns Hopkins
    You must contact your advisor to select courses before registering.  You will have had to have submitted your Pre-Admission Health Form, registered for health insurance, and pay any financial obligations. If you are receiving financial aid, the department will have already notified the appropriate administrative offices.

    Visit the Course Registration instructions page for information on course registration.

    For Concurrent BS/MSE students returning to Johns Hopkins for the Master’s Degree
    “Fifth-Year” master’s students may register by paper early while they are seniors!  You must contact your advisor to select courses before registering, which can be done during Advising Week in late-March or early-April each year.  Download and complete this Graduate Course Registration Form, have your advisor sign it and deliver it to the Registrar beginning in April.

    Otherwise, visit the Course Registration instructions page for information on course registration.

    Important Note: registering for Engineering for Professionals courses
    To register for courses offered by the Engineering for Professionals program, courses numbered EN.xx5.xxx, you must register using the Interdivisional Course Registration form. Please visit the Registrar’s Interdivisional Registration page for info and the form.

    • Ph.D. students must register every semester for Graduate Research: EN.530.801.xx, using their advisor’s section.
    • Ph.D. students must register every semester for their first three years in EN.530.803 MechE Graduate Seminar.  Masters students are welcome, but not required, to register for the Graduate Seminar.
  • You must complete required introductory online courses:

    • Opioid Epidemic Awareness – this will be available in your My.JHU.edu page under “My Learning” and search the catalog for “Opioid Epidemic Awareness.”  You can take this course at anytime.  Sign in to “My.JHU.edu” with your JHED ID and password.
    • Title IX – Harassment Prevention – you will receive notification from the Office of Institutional Equity to complete this course online, usually right after you accept admission. You are asked to complete the course within 30 days.  This will be available in your My.JHU.edu page under “My Learning” and search the catalog for “Title IX Harassment Prevention.”  Sign in to “My.JHU.edu” with your JHED ID and password.
    • Research Laboratory Safety – see Section 11.1 of the Ph.D. Graduate Advising Manual. These online modules should be completed by the first two weeks of your first semester.  This will be available in your My.JHU.edu page under “My Learning.”
    • EN.500.603 Academic Ethics – you will be enrolled automatically early in the Fall semester and be expected to complete this 20-minute online course before the end of the semester.
    • You will also be asked to view and complete other online Orientations from the Graduate Admissions office and the Office of International Services.  You will receive separate notification of these later.
  • Get a jump on getting connected at Hopkins!

    In early June (Fall students) or early January (Spring students), the Registrar will send all enrolled new graduate students an e-mail that includes your JHED ID. The “Johns Hopkins Enterprise Directory” (JHED) is an online directory of all students, faculty, staff, and other associates with Johns Hopkins University, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, and all related entities.

    This e-mail will also provide you a JHU e-mail address and set-up instructions.  Note that until your JHED ID is activated, you will not have access to these services.

  • Access to various buildings and offices will be granted in one of two ways:

    • Using one’s J-card for electronic access.
    • Using keys.

    Students will receive access to buildings and offices as needed.

    • Latrobe Hall is open during business hours Monday through Friday and most evenings and weekends.
    • The third floor of Latrobe Hall will be accessible with J-card access for all students Monday-Friday 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Students with offices on this floor will have daily 24-hour access with J-cards.
    • Other halls will be open during business hours Monday through Friday and limited access will be available at other times.
    Master’s students are welcome to use the Master’s Lounge on the second floor of the Wyman Park Building across from Mason Hall. Desks, lockers, and places to relax are available in that common space shared by all master’s students, whose J-cards will give them access to the lounge.

    Individual desk space is not available.

    Desk space will be allocated to all Ph.D. students depending on their advisor’s location.

    • Students who will work in Hackerman Hall (robotics) or Clark Hall (biomechanics) – contact your advisor for information.
    • Students who will work in Malone Hall (HEMI, some mechanics of materials) – contact your advisor or administrative coordinator Bess Bieluczyk at bess@jhu.edu for information.
    • Students who will work in Latrobe Hall (fluids, some biomechanics, some mechanics of materials) – contact your advisor for information.
      • Once your advisor determines your desk location, you will receive keys to the Latrobe Hall building, your office space, and your desk from Kevin Adams. Note that there is a $5 refundable deposit charged per key.
      • If your advisor is unsure where to place you, he or she can contact Kevin to find out what desks are available.
  • We’re excited that you have arrived and can’t wait to meet you!  Before we meet, there are things to do. Select the tab appropriate for you for instructions.

    1. Contact the Office of International Services

    The very first thing to do upon arrival is to either visit the Office of International Services in the Wyman Park Building, 2 West, or check in electronically. They must know that you have arrived on campus.

    2. Get your J-Card,  Confirm Health Insurance and Student Accounts

    Visit the Wyman Park Building, 2 West, the temporary home of several administrative offices who will help you.

    • J-Card Office – get your J-card.
    • Registrar – they will confirm your health insurance enrollment or waiver.
    • Student Accounts –   confirm payment receipt of tuition and fees.

    3. Obtain a Social Security Number (SSN)

    Visit the OIS website on obtaining a Social Security Number for steps on how to obtain one.

    SSNs are important to have not only for salaries, but also for obtaining utility services like telephone service, internet access, and electricity and gas for your home.

    Some international students may not need to obtain an SSN.  The Office of International Services can help you determine if you will need one.

    4. If you are receiving a salary, contact Mike to arrange for a Hiring Paperwork meeting.

    NOTE: in Fall 2020, Hiring Paperwork will be handled remotely. Mike will contact you to make arrangements.

    Drop by Latrobe Hall to introduce yourself to us!  Mike is in Latrobe 230 and Kevin is in Latrobe 223. Note that some weeks we will have office hours posted, so do look for those times.  They may vary from week to week.

    Get your J-Card,  Confirm Health Insurance and Student Accounts

    Visit the Wyman Park Building, 2 West, the temporary home of several administrative offices who will help you.

    • J-Card Office – get your J-card.
    • Registrar – they will confirm your health insurance enrollment or waiver.
    • Student Accounts –   confirm payment receipt of tuition and fees.

    If you are receiving a salary, contact Mike to arrange to complete hiring documents.

    NOTE: in Fall 2020, Hiring Paperwork will be handled remotely. Mike will contact you to make arrangements.

    (When we all are back on campus, drop by Latrobe Hall to introduce yourself to us!  Mike is in Latrobe 230 and Kevin is in Latrobe 223.  Note that some weeks we will have office hours posted, so do look for those times.  They may vary from week to week. In the meantime, we can meet by Zoom, Skype, or other remote means. Contact us to arrange a meeting.)

  • Complete Hiring Documents
    • Complete a New Hire Information Sheet.  Leave the Administrative Actions section blank. Do not complete the Social Security Number (SSN). We have access to your SSN internally.  Send the form to me-academic@jhu.edu.
    • TIP:  Avoid identify theft!  Never e-mail a document with your SSN on it, just in case an e-mail is intercepted or hacked.
    • The Academic Program Staff will send you a Confirmation of Campus Employment form and ask you to complete the online I-9 Form.
    • You will make an appointment to virtually meet with the Student Employment Services staff.
    • For the meeting with Student Employment Services, bring or send your Confirmation of Campus Employment form.  Have your identification available, which is shown in the I-9 form instructions. International students must take their I-20 form, passport, and visa.  The staff will help you complete tax forms and, for international students, the Foreign National Information Form.
    • Sign up for Direct Deposit, where your salary will be deposited right into your bank account on payday.  Visit ESS, or “Employee Self-Service” to set up Direct Deposit or change accounts anytime.
      • Please have your bank account’s “routing number” and “account number” handy before signing in.
      • Go to my.jhu.edu and sign in with your JHED ID and password.
      • Select the “HR” tab and then the “ESS” tab.
      • Sign in again with your JHED ID and password.
      • Select the “Payroll Info” tab and you will see the option to set up or edit Direct Deposit. Follow the instructions to set up or update the account.
    Payday!  How you will receive your salary…

    You will receive your pay on the 15th and the last day of the month, or the nearest business day before those dates if they fall on a weekend or holiday. You have the option of receiving a check or having your pay directly deposited.

    Once you apply for Direct Deposit, your salary will be directly deposited. Before then, a paycheck will be issued to the Whiting School.

    1. On the first payday, which for most will be September 15 for the September 1-15 pay period (or February 15 for the February 1-15 pay period for students starting in Spring), please check your bank account to confirm the deposit.
    2. If your salary is not already directly deposited, then the paycheck has been delivered to the Whiting School, who will mail them directly to the payee at their home address, which you can then deposit in your bank or credit union.
    3. You can expect that future paychecks will be directly deposited, unless you choose to receive a paycheck each pay day. Most people choose direct deposit as the salary arrives quicker than a paycheck does.

    Visit the MechE Top 12 – Graduate web page and go to the “Employment on Campus” section for instructions on how to view your pay statements (also known as “pay stubs”).

  • Orientation dates for Fall 2020 have been established and are online.

    Date and presentation format to be announced
    Join Johns Hopkins for Welcome Week!  You can obtain your J-card early and otherwise enjoy a variety of required and optional events for new grad students.

    Students joining us in the Spring semester are asked to attend the orientation the next fall.

    Monday, August 24
    11:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m., Eastern Daylight Time

    Various events will be held for Ph.D. students of Professors El-Awady, Hemker, Kang, Nguyen, and Ramesh – some optional, some mandatory – for the Hopkins Extreme Materials Institute.

    The goal of HEMI Boot Camp is to give incoming graduate students introductory knowledge to some key resources, software and general skills needed as JHU/HEMI students.

    Register here for your spot!

    Contact Ms. Bess Bieluczyk at bess@jhu.edu with your questions.

    ATTENDANCE REQUIRED – all Master’s and PhD students
    Online – Asynchronous

    Visit the Whiting School Graduate Orientations page for info on the required school orientations. They will notify all students when the online presentation is available.

    You will also be asked to complete the Academic Ethics course and be reminded of the Responsible Conduct of Research course options.

    The International Student Orientation will be online.  All incoming international students will receive notification when the orientation is available.

    ATTENDANCE REQUIRED – all PhD students
    ATTENDANCE REQUIRED – MSE students who want to be a Teaching Assistant
    ATTENDANCE OPTIONAL – everyone else

    Thursday, August 27, 2020 – online
    This annual orientation session consists of activities for all new graduate students along with a number of optional workshops to prepare graduate students for Teaching Assistant assignments.

    Visit the Teaching Academy site on the Orientation for more information. There is a required plenary session that you must view before the August 27 orientation, which begins at 10:00 a.m. EDT.

    Contact Dr. Richard Shingles, Director, TA Training Institute in the Center for Educational Resources at shingles@jhu.edu for further information.

    ATTENDANCE REQUIRED – all PhD and all MSE students

    Student arriving in Fall 2020
    Master’s Orientation – Tuesday, August 25 

    10:00 a.m. Eastern Daylight Time

    PhD Orientation – Friday, August 28
    10:00 a.m. Eastern Daylight Time

    Zoom links will be sent to students before the orientations.

    These meetings will feature information about our department and the degree programs.  You will meet fellow graduate students who lead the Mechanical Engineering Graduate Student Association, as well as Mr. Steve Stich, our librarian for Mechanical Engineering and Mr. Mark Savage, LIfe Design Educator for master’s students. We will also award prizes to the winners of the Mechanical Engineering Advising Manual Quiz Challenge.

    Student arriving in Spring 2021 – late-January or early-February 2021
    For new graduate students arriving in Spring 2021, if we are able to meet in peson, we will have either a group or individual presentations. You will be notified to arrange a date.

  • The Great Mechanical Engineering Baltimore Tour!

    We regret that the Great Mechanical Engineering Baltimore Tour will be postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. When is it safe to gather together again, all new graduate students will be invited to embark on the tour. The department will notify you when arrangements will be made.

  • Various events are planned.  Details are available in the event’s corresponding tab.

    Fall 2020 Semester
    Dates and times are generally set but are subject to change dependent on the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. Some orientation meetings will be online.
    • To be announced – University Orientation
    • Online – International Student Orientation
    • Online – Whiting School Master’s Orientation
    • Monday, August 24 – 11:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. – HEMI Boot Camp
    • Tuesday, August 25 – 10:00 a.m. – Department Orientation for Master’s Students
    • Thursday, August 27 – 10:00 a.m. – Teaching Assistant Orientation
    • Friday, August 28 – 10:00 a.m. – Department Orientation for Ph.D. Students
    • Monday, August 31 – First Day of Class – Fall semester
    • Postponed to sometime in 2021 – Great Mechanical Engineering Baltimore Tour for all new master’s and PhD students
    • Postponed to sometime in 2021 – Mechanical Engineering Grad Student Welcome BarBQ
    Spring 2021 Semester
    • Late-January or early-February –  Department Orientation
    • Monday, January 25, 2021 – First Day of Class – Spring semester

    Note: The BarBQ has been postponed. When we are all allowed to safely meet again, we will arrange a BarBQ later.

    You, your spouse/significant other, and your family are welcome to join in the fun in the Mechanical Engineering Graduate BarBQ! Free food, free drink, fun times, and an opportunity to meet your fellow students and the JHU Mechanical Engineering community are guaranteed!

  • MEGA

    MEGA is a social and advocacy organization for the graduate students of Mechanical Engineering.  As a graduate student, you will be invited to various events throughout the year.


    The Graduate Representative Organization is a wonderful social and support organization for graduate students.  They will have a Bar-B-Q for grad students and their families this fall, as well as weekly happy hours and more.

    Social Organizations

    Check out these groups!

    You can have items mailed to you at this postal address:

    Johns Hopkins University, Department of Mechanical Engineering
    Attention:  (you)
    3910 Keswick Road, Latrobe 217
    Baltimore, Maryland 21211-2226 USA

    You may have educational and personal items sent to you, but please keep the volume of personal items sent at a reasonable level.

    Every student receives a J-card, which is your university identification card. It gets you in to the Library, computer labs, certain buildings, events, and the Recreation Center.

    Graduate student J-cards have a red border around the student’s photo to identify them as graduate students.

    • Students new to Johns Hopkins will receive a new J-card upon arrival.
    • Students returning to Johns Hopkins for graduate school may either trade their undergraduate cards in for new graduate-level J-card or keep their current J-card.  It is not required to trade J-cards, but some students prefer an updated photograph and the graduate student “red border” to allow easy entry to events exclusive to grad students where a J-card is required.
    If you need to park a car on campus, check out the Parking Office website, which has this section: parking for students.
    Visit the JHU Maps and Directions page for campus maps and directions.
    Research Assistantships

    Income taxes are automatically withheld each pay period for research assistant salaries. Students will have to file annual tax returns with the U.S. federal government’s Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and the State of Maryland.


    While taxes are due on Fellowship stipends, income taxes are not always withheld. For those whose income taxes are not withheld, you will have to file quarterly tax returns with the IRS.  Otherwise, if income tax is withheld each pay, only an annual return is required with the IRS and the State of Maryland.

    Other Income

    If you are receiving salary through other work, income taxes are usually withheld.

    No Income Taxes on other Financial Aid

    Tuition, health insurance, and matriculation fee support are not taxed as income.

    More Info

    Tax laws and rules vary depending on your citizenship. Some information on taxes is available at the Tax Office website.

    Contact the JHU Tax Office for assistance:

    Tax Office
    Suite D200 – Eastern High Campus
    1101 East 33rd Street
    tax “at” jhu.edu

    You will be able to view your pay statement online from your “My JHU” portal. Simply select the “HR” icon, then the “ESS” icon.  Visit “ESS,” or “Employee Self-Service” to view your pay statement.

    • Go to my.jhu.edu and sign in with your JHED ID and password.
    • Select the “HR” tab and then the “ESS” tab.
    • Sign in again with your JHED ID and password.
    • Select the “Payroll Info” tab and you will see the pay statement.
Back to top