Sung Hoon Kang
Complex behaviors of material systems and structures with novel properties based on inspiration from nature; rational design followed by rapid prototyping using a 3D printer; designing experimental model systems and/or using computational models to identify key design parameters of systems to make desired structures and properties by tailoring behaviors of systems.
Sung Hoon Kang is an assistant professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Hopkins Extreme Materials Institute at Johns Hopkins University since January 1, 2015. Prior to his appointment, he was a postdoctoral fellow in Materials Science and Mechanical Engineering at Harvard University working with Prof. Katia Bertoldi. He earned a Ph.D. degree in Applied Physics at Harvard University under the guidance of Prof. Joanna Aizenberg and M.S. and B.S. degrees in Materials Science and Engineering from MIT and Seoul National University, respectively. He has been studying complex behaviors of material systems and structures with novel properties based on inspiration from nature as well as rational design followed by rapid prototyping using a 3D printer. By designing experimental model systems and/or using computational models, he has been working on identifying key design parameters of systems so that we can make desired structures and properties by tailoring behaviors of systems.
- Ph.D. 2012, Harvard University
- 2012 - 2014: Postdoctoral Fellow in Materials Science and Mechanical Engineering, Harvard University
- 2008 - 2012: Research Assistant, Harvard University
- 2004 - 2009: Staff Scientist, EIC Laboraties, Inc.
- 2001 - 2004: Research Assistant, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Additive manufacturing
- Advanced materials with tailored properties
- Advanced structures with tailored properties
- Computational Modeling
- Liquid wetting and repllency of bioinspired surfaces
- Novel micro/nanostructure fabrication approach
- 2017: FY 2018 Air Force Office of Scientific Research (AFOSR) Young Investigator Program Award
- 2016: Invitee, National Academy of Engineering’s US Frontiers of Engineering Symposium
- 2013: Early Career Development Workshop Fellowship
- 2012: Poster Award, Aspen Winter Conference on Growth and Form: Pattern Formation in Biology
- 2011: Materials Research Society Graduate Student Award Gold Medal
- 2011: Second Place Poster Award, NSF Workshop and Freund Symposium on Future Directions of Mechanics Research
- 2010: First Place in Photography Category of International Science and Engineering Visualization Challenge
- 2010: Second Place in Science as Art Competition
- Kang S, Jing Li, Santiago Orrego, Junjie Pan, Peisheng He (2019). Ultrasensitive and low-cost piezoresistive tactile sensor based on nanoporous carbon nanotube/polymer composite,. Nanoscale.
- Kang S, J. Liu, O. Erol, A. Pantula, W. Liu, Z. Jiang, K. Kobayashi, D. Chatterjee, N. Hibino, L. H. Romer, T. D. Nguyen, D. H. Gracias (2018). Dual-gel 4D Printing of Bioinspired Tubes. ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces.
- Kang S, S. Orrego, Z. Chen, D. Hou, U. Krekora, J. J. Londoño (2018). ioinspired materials with self- adaptable mechanical properties and self-regeneration.
- Kang S, O. Erol, E. Bachtiar, A. Horowitz, N. Hibino, L. H. Romer, D. H. Gracias (2018). D printed shape- changing right-ventricle to pulmonary-artery conduits to accommodate growth of pediatric patient.
- Kang S, E. Bachtiar, O. Erol, R. Grusby, Y. Wang (2018). 3D-printing of compliant and biostable structures from soft silicone-carbonate-polyurethane copolymer for medical applications.
- Kang S, W. Jung, K. Elawad, Y. Chen (2018). Cell-cell adhesion and myosin activity regulate cortical actin assembly in mammary gland epithelium on concaved surface. Cell Adhesion & Migration.
- Kang S, Wendong Wnag, Jaakko V. I. Timonen, A. Carlson, D.-M. Drotlef, C. T. Zhang, S. Kolle, A. Grinthal, T.-S. Wong, B. Hatton, S. Kennedy, J. Chi, R. Thomas Blough, M. Sitti, L. Mahadevan, J. Aizenberg (2018). Multifunctional ferrofluid-infused surfaces with reconfigurable multiscale topography. Nature. 559. 77-82.
- Kang S, Fang, Lichen, Li, Jing, Zhu, Zeyu, Orrego, Santiago (2018). Piezoelectric polymer thin films with architected cuts. Journal of Materials Research. 33. 330-342.
- Li J, Zhu Z, Fang L, Guo S, Erturun U, Zhu Z, West JE, Ghosh S, Kang SH (2017). Analytical, numerical, and experimental studies of viscoelastic effects on the performance of soft piezoelectric nanocomposites. Nanoscale. 9(37).
- Kang S, Shoele K, Ruas A, Doran K, Caggiano B, Mittal R, Orrego S (2017). Harvesting ambient wind energy with an inverted piezoelectric flag. Applied Energy. 194. 212-222.
- Kang S, Chen S, Li J, Fang L, Zhu Z (2017). Simple Triple-State Polymer Actuators with Controllable Folding Characteristics. Applied Physics Letters. 110. 133506.
- Wang P, Zheng Y, Fernandes C, Sun Y, Xu K, Sun S, Bertoldi K (2017). Harnessing Geometric Frustration to Form Band Gaps in Acoustic Channel Lattices. Physical Review Letters. 118. 084302.
- Wadhwa Neal, Chen Justin G., Sellon Jonathan B., Wei Donglai, Rubinstein Michael, Ghaffari Roozbeh, Freeman Dennis M., Büyüköztürk Oral, Wang Pai, Sun Sijie, Kang Sung Hoon, Bertoldi Katia, Durand Fredo, Freeman William T. (2017). Motion microscopy for visualizing and quantifying small motions. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 114. 11639-11644.
- Kang S, Dickey M (2016). Patterning via self-organization and self-folding: beyond conventional lithography. Materials Research Society Bulletin. 41. 93-96.
- Zárate Y, Babaee S, Kang S, Neshev DN, Shadrivov IV, Bertoldi K, Powell DA (2016). Elastic metamaterials for tuning circular polarization of electromagnetic waves. Scientific Reports. 6. 28273.
- Wang P, Zheng Y, Fernandes MC, Sun Y, Xu K, Sun S, Kang S, Tournat V, Bertoldi K (2016). Harnessing Geometric Frustration to Form Band Gaps in Acoustic Channel Lattices. arXiv preprint arXiv:1612.09174.
- Liu J, Gu T, Shan S, Kang S, Weaver JC, Bertoldi K (2016). Harnessing buckling to design architected materials that exhibit effective negative swelling. Advanced Materials. 28. 6619-6624.
- Kang S, Wang P, Casadei F, Bertoldi K (2015). Locally resonant band gaps in periodic beam lattices by tuning connectivity. Physical Review B (Rapid Communication). 91. 020103.
- Shan S, Kang S, Raney JR, Wang P, Fang L, Candido F, Lewis JA, Bertoldi K (2015). Multistable Architected Materials for Trapping Elastic Strain Energy. Advanced Materials. 27(29). 4296-4301.
- Shan S, Kang S, Zhao Z, Fang L, Bertoldi K (2015). Design of planar isotropic negative Poisson's ratio structures. Extreme Mechanics Letters. 4. 96-102.
- Kang S, Shan S, Košmrlj A, Noorduin WL, Shian S, Weaver JC, Clarke DR, Bertoldi K (2014). Complex ordered patterns in mechanical instability induced geometrically frustrated triangular cellular structures.. Physical Review Letters. 112(9). 098701.
- Shan S, Kang S, Wang P, Qu C, Shian S, Chen ER, Bertoldi K (2014). Harnessing Multiple Folding Mechanisms in Soft Periodic Structures for Tunable Control of Elastic Waves. Advanced Functional Materials. 24(31). 4935-4942.
- Kang S, Shan S, Noorduin WL, Khan M, Aizenberg J, Bertoldi K (2013). Buckling-induced reversible symmetry breaking and amplification of chirality using supported cellular structures.. Advanced Materials. 25(24). 3380-5.
- Shim J, Shan S, Kosmrlj A, Kang S, Chen ER, Weaver JC, Bertoldi K (2013). Harnessing instabilities for design of soft reconfigurable auxetic/chiral materials. Soft Matter. 9(34). 8198-8202.
- Grinthal A, Kang S, Epstein A, Aizenberg M, Khan M, Aizenberg J (2012). Steering nanofibers: An integrative approach to bio-inspired fiber fabrication and assembly. Nano Today. 7(1). 35 - 52.
- Kang S, Wu N, Grinthal A, Aizenberg J (2011). Meniscus lithography: evaporation-induced self-organization of pillar arrays into moiré patterns.. Physical Review Letters. 107(17). 177802.
- Wong TS, Kang S, Tang SK, Smythe EJ, Hatton BD, Grinthal A, Aizenberg J (2011). Bioinspired self-repairing slippery surfaces with pressure-stable omniphobicity.. Nature. 477(7365). 443-7.
- Seminara A, Pokroy B, Kang S, Brenner MP, Aizenberg J (2011). Mechanism of nanostructure movement under an electron beam and its application in patterning. Physical Review B. 83(23). 235438.
- Lipomi DJ, Martinez RV, Kats MA, Kang S, Kim P, Aizenberg J, Capasso F, Whitesides GM (2011). Patterning the tips of optical fibers with metallic nanostructures using nanoskiving.. Nano Letters. 11(2). 632-6.
- Kang S, Pokroy B, Mahadevan L, Aizenberg J (2010). Control of shape and size of nanopillar assembly by adhesion-mediated elastocapillary interaction.. ACS Nano. 4(11). 6323-31.
- Lipomi DJ, Kats MA, Kim P, Kang S, Aizenberg J, Capasso F, Whitesides GM (2010). Fabrication and replication of arrays of single- or multicomponent nanostructures by replica molding and mechanical sectioning.. ACS Nano. 4(7). 4017-26.
- Pokroy B, Kang S, Mahadevan L, Aizenberg J (2009). Self-organization of a mesoscale bristle into ordered, hierarchical helical assemblies.. Science. 323(5911). 237-40.
- Mandal K, Kang S, Choi M, Chen J, Zhang X, Schleicher JM, Schmuttenmaer CA, Fernelius N (2008). III-VI Chalcogenide Semiconductor Crystals for Broadband Tunable THz Sources and Sensors. Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, IEEE Journal of. 14(2). 284-288.
- MANDAL KC, Kang S, CHOI M, RAUH RD (2008). RARE-EARTH DOPED POTASSIUM LEAD BROMIDE MID-IR LASER SOURCES FOR STANDOFF DETECTION. International Journal of High Speed Electronics and Systems. 18(03). 735-745.
- Mandal K, Kang S, Choi M, Kargar A, Harrison M, McGregor D, Bolotnikov A, Carini G, Camarda G, James R (2007). Characterization of Low-Defect Cd0.9Zn0.1Te and CdTe Crystals for High-Performance Frisch Collar Detectors. Nuclear Science, IEEE Transactions on. 54(4). 802-806.
- Mandal K, Kang S, Choi M, Wei J, Zheng L, Zhang H, Jellison G, Groza M, Burger A (2007). Component Overpressure Growth and Characterization of High-Resistivity CdTe Crystals for Radiation Detectors. Journal of Electronic Materials. 36(8). 1013-1020.
- Leblanc V, Chen J, Kang S, Bulovic V, Schmidt M (2007). Micromachined Printheads for the Evaporative Patterning of Organic Materials and Metals. Microelectromechanical Systems, Journal of. 16(2). 394-400.
- Chen J, Leblanc V, Kang S, Benning PJ, Schut D, Baldo MA, Schmidt MA, Bulovic V (2007). High Definition Digital Fabrication of Active Organic Devices by Molecular Jet Printing. Advanced Functional Materials. 17(15). 2722-2727.
- Mandal K, Kang S, Choi M, Bello J, Zheng L, Zhang H, Groza M, Roy U, Burger A, Jellison G, Holcomb D, Wright G, Williams J (2006). Simulation, modeling, and crystal growth of Cd0.9Zn0.1Te for nuclear spectrometers. Journal of Electronic Materials. 35(6). 1251-1256.
- Kang S, Crisp T, Kymissis I, Bulovic V (2004). Memory effect from charge trapping in layered organic structures. Applied Physics Letters. 85(20). 4666-4668.
- Mandal,Krishna , Kang S, Choi,Michael , Mertiri,Alket , Pabst,Gary W , Noblitt,Caleb (2007). Crystal Growth and Characterization of CdTe and Cd0.9Zn0.1Te for Nuclear Radiation Detectors. Symposium O - Nuclear Radiation Detection Materials. 1038.
- Leblanc V, Kang S, Chen J, Benning P, Baldo M, Bulovic V, Schmidt M (2005). Micromachined printhead for the patterning of organic materials and metals. Solid-State Sensors, Actuators and Microsystems, 2005. Digest of Technical Papers. TRANSDUCERS '05. The 13th International Conference on. 2. 1429-1432 Vol. 2.
- Chen,Jianglong , Leblanc,Valérie , Kang S, Baldo,Marc A. , Benning,Paul J. , Schmidt,Martin A. , Bulovic,Vladimir (2005). Direct Patterning of Molecular Organic Materials and Metals Using a Micromachined Printhead. Symposium H - Giant-Area Electronics on Nonconventional Substrates. 870.
- Kang S, Santiago, Orrego "Biomimetic Self-Adaptable Systems", 2017.
- Kang S, Katia Bertoldi, Jordan R. Raney, Jennifer A. Lewis, Sicong Shan "Shape Recoverable and Reusable Energy Absorbing Structures, Systems and Methods for Manufacture Thereof", 2015.
- Aizenberg J, He X, Kang S, Wong TS "Anti-counterfeiting methods", 2013.
- Aizenberg J, Aizenberg M, Kang S, Kim P, Tang KY, Wong TS "Slippery surfaces with high pressure stability, optical transparency, and self-healing characteristics", 2012.