Jeremy D. Brown
John C. Malone Assistant Professor
Haptic feedback, upper-limb prosthetics, surgical robotics, rehabilitation robotics, human-machine interaction.
Dr. Brown’s research focuses on the interface between humans and robots with a specific focus on medical applications and haptic feedback. In particular, he seeks to develop novel haptic interfaces to upper-limb prosthetics and minimally-invasive surgical robotics. At Hopkins, he sees the opportunity to expand into additional fields including rehabilitation robotics. His research sits at the intersection of engineering, biomechatronics, medicine, and psychophysics and uses methods from human perception, motor control, neurophysiology, and biomechanics. He was honored to receive several awards including the National Science Foundation (NSF) Graduate Research Fellowship, the best student paper award at the 2012 IEEE Haptics Symposium, and the Penn Postdoctoral Fellowship for Academic Diversity.
Dr. Brown, a graduate of the Atlanta University Center’s Dual Degree Engineering Program, has B.S. degrees in Applied Physics and Mechanical Engineering from Morehouse College and the University of Michigan, respectively. He then attained his M.S. and PhD degrees in Mechanical Engineering at the University of Michigan.
Upon completing his PhD in 2014, Dr. Brown has been a Postdoctoral Research Fellow at the University of Pennsylvania, where he is part of the Haptics Research Group in Penn’s General Robotics, Automation, Sensing, and Perception (GRASP) laboratory.
- Ph.D. 2014, Univ of Michigan Ann Arbor*
- Master of Science in Engineering 2012, University of Michigan
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering 2008, University of Michigan
- Bachelor of Science 2008, Morehouse College
- Brown Jeremy D., O Brien Conor E., Leung Sarah C., Dumon Kristoffel R., Lee David I., Kuchenbecker Katherine J. (2017). Using Contact Forces and Robot Arm Accelerations to Automatically Rate Surgeon Skill at Peg Transfer. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering. 64. 2263--2275.
- Brown Jeremy D., Kunz Timothy S., Gardner Duane, Shelley Mackenzie K., Davis Alicia J., Gillespie R. Brent (2017). An Empirical Evaluation of Force Feedback in Body-Powered Prostheses. IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering. 25. 215--226.
- Brown Jeremy D, Shelley Mackenzie K, Gardner Duane, Gansallo Emmanuel A, Gillespie R Brent (2016). Non-Colocated Kinesthetic Display Limits Compliance Discrimination in the Absence of Terminal Force Cues.. IEEE transactions on haptics. 9. 387--96.
- Brown Jeremy D., Paek Andrew, Syed Mashaal, O'Malley Marcia K., Shewokis Patricia A., Contreras-Vidal Jose L., Davis Alicia J., Gillespie R. Brent (2015). An exploration of grip force regulation with a low-impedance myoelectric prosthesis featuring referred haptic feedback. Journal of NeuroEngineering and Rehabilitation. 12.
- Brown Jeremy D, Fernandez Joshua N, Cohen Sean P, Kuchenbecker Katherine J (2017). A Wrist-Squeezing Force-Feedback System for Robotic Surgery Training. Proc. IEEE World Haptics Conference. 107--112.
- Brown Jeremy D., Ibrahim Mary, Chase Elyse D. Z., Pacchierotti Claudio, Kuchenbecker Katherine J. (2016). Data-driven comparison of four cutaneous displays for pinching palpation in robotic surgery. 2016 IEEE Haptics Symposium. IEEE. 147--154.
- Brown Jeremy D., O'Brien Conor E., Miyasaka Kiyoyuki W., Dumon Kristoffel R., Kuchenbecker Katherine J. (2015). Analysis of the Instrument Vibrations and Contact Forces Caused by an Expert Robotic Surgeon Doing FRS Tasks. 8th Annual Hamlyn Symposium on Medical Robotics. 75--77.
- Gillespie R. Brent, Dongwon Kim, Suchoski Jacob M., Bo Yu, Brown Jeremy D. (2014). Series elasticity for free free-space motion for free. Proc. IEEE Haptics Symposium. IEEE. 609--615.
- Brown J.D., Paek A., Syed M., O'Malley M.K., Shewokis P.A., Contreras-Vidal J.L., Davis A.J., Gillespie R.B. (2013). Understanding the role of haptic feedback in a teleoperated/prosthetic grasp and lift task. 2013 World Haptics Conference, WHC 2013.
- Paek Andrew Y, Brown Jeremy D, Gillespie R Brent, O'Malley Marcia K, Shewokis Patricia A, Contreras-Vidal Jose L (2013). Reconstructing surface EMG from scalp EEG during myoelectric control of a closed looped prosthetic device.. Proc. IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC). 5602--5.
- Brown Jeremy D, Paek Andrew, Syed Mashaal, O'Malley M K, Shewokis P A, Contreras-Vidal J L, Gillespie R. Brent (2013). Understandin J. D. Brown, A. Paek, M. Syed, M. K. O'Malley, P. A. Shewokis, J. L. Contreras-Vidal, and R. B. Gillespie, “Understanding the Role of Haptic Feedback in a Teleoperated / Prosthetic Grasp and Lift Task,” in Proc. IEEE World Haptics Conferen. Proc. IEEE World Haptics Conference. 271--276.
- Brown Jeremy D., Gillespie R. Brent, Gardner Duane, Gansallo Emmanuel a. (2012). Co-location of force and action improves identification of force-displacement features. Proc. IEEE Haptics Symposium. 187--193.
- Brown J D, Gillespie R B (2011). The effect of force/motion coupling on motor and cognitive performance. Proc. IEEE World Haptics Conference. 197--202.
- Gillespie R B, Contreras-Vidal J L, Shewokis P A, O'Malley M K, Brown J D, Agashe H, Gentili R, Davis A (2010). Toward improved sensorimotor integration and learning using upper-limb prosthetic devices. Proc. IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC). 5077--5080.