Department Head and Charles A. Miller, Jr. Distinguished Professor
Computations of multiphase flows. Direct numerical simulations of complex multiphase flows including heat transfer, boiling, cavitation, solidification, surfactants, and reactions. Applications to turbulent bubbly flows, atomization, additive manufacturing, and other problems. Numerical methods for tracking sharp fluid interfaces. Averaged and reduced order models of multiphase flows. Multiscale approaches to capture small-scales in multiphase flows.
- 1985, Ph.D. Brown University, Division of Engineering, Providence, RI
- 1982, Sc.M. Brown University, Division of Engineering, Providence, RI
- 1980, B.S. University of Iceland, Mechanical Engineering
- 2017 – present: Charles A. Miller, Jr. Distinguished Professor and Head, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD.
- 2011 – 2017: Chair, Department of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering, University of Notre Dame, IN (Interim, 3/23/2011-12/31/2011).
- 2010 – 2017: Viola D. Hank Professor of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering, University of Notre Dame, IN
- 2002 – 2015: Editor-in-chief, Journal of Computational Physics
- 2000 – 2010: Professor and Head, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, MA
- 1993 – 1997: Associate Chairman, Department of Mechanical Engineering and Applied Mechanics. University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
- 1985 – 2000: Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Applied Mechanics. University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. (Assistant Professor, 1985-1991; Associate Professor, 1991-1997; Professor, 1997-2000)
- 1984 – 1985: Associate Research Scientist, Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences, New York University.
- Outstanding Paper Award. Journal of Chemical Engineering of Japan, 2014
- Elected Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, 2013
- ASME Fluids Engineering Award, 2012
- WPI Sigma Xi Outstanding Senior Faculty Research Award, 2006
- The 2005 Computational Mechanics Award from the Computational Mechanics Division of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers (JSME)
- Elected Fellow of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2005
- Elected Fellow of the American Physical Society (Division of Fluid Dynamics), 2000
- College Award for Service, University of Michigan, 2000
- Best Paper Award. ASEE Annual meeting (with D. Tilbury and S.L. Ceccio), 1997
- Departmental Award for Service, University of Michigan, 1996
- Departmental Award for Research, University of Michigan, 1991
- Predoctoral Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Fellow, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, 1983
- Brown University Fellowships, 1980, 1981, and 1983
- Thor Thors Special Contribution Award (The American-Scandinavian Foundation), 1980
- Fulbright travel grant, 1980