Published:

Dear ME friends, alumni, and students:

Welcome to the Winter 2018 issue of MechE Force. A lot has happened in our department since the spring, and I’m excited to share some highlights with you.

Our graduate and undergraduate students continue to excel – in the classroom, at professional conferences, as part of community-based projects, and in many other ways. Several faculty and students have received major awards and other recognition for their hard work, as highlighted in our newsletter.

We are leading the charge to address challenges in fields such as robotics, aerospace, energy, and biology and medicine. As the quality and impact of our research continues to grow, we are focused on building new collaborations within Hopkins, across the nation, and around the world.

Professor Louis Whitcomb completed his term as a department chair this summer and I arrived as the new head of the department. It is a privilege to join what is truly an outstanding department. I have known for a long time that Hopkins is home to some of the most eminent researchers in my specific research area, and now I know the same is true in other areas. I am excited to be part of this vibrant and diverse community and I look forward to working with my new colleagues, as well as other members of the Whiting School of Engineering, to continue to advance cutting-edge research and provide innovative and forward looking education to our students.

I invite you to explore our website, as it is constantly being updated with news and information. If you’d prefer a more interactive experience, our Facebook page is a great place to learn about upcoming events, view photos, and interact with other Mechanical Engineering students, alumni, and friends.

Did you notice something that’s missing, or simply want to provide commentary or feedback? Please feel free to email us at mech_eng@jhu.edu, call 410-516-6782, or even mail a letter to the Department of Mechanical Engineering, 223 Latrobe Hall, Johns Hopkins University, 3400 North Charles Street, Baltimore, MD 21218.

Best Regards,

Gretar Tryggvason
Department Head and Charles A. Miller, Jr. Distinguished Professor
Department of Mechanical Engineering